Reports To: Editor, R-J
Posted: February 21, 2018
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Record-Journal is looking for a skilled, enthusiastic managing editor to oversee the Westerly Sun newsroom staff, including origination and production of content for newspaper and website. Content includes visuals (photos and video), news, sports, features and editorial page.
- Supervise news/digital editor, sports editor, copy editor, clerical staff, arts & entertainment editor and
other staff as assigned.
- Work with staff to ensure reporters, photographer, web producers, and other staff are providing
online news 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Work with other editors to ensure that all copy is being edited properly, with special attention toward
potentially libelous stories and fairness issues.
- Hold daily meetings on advance story, photo, video, social media and online planning.
- Monitor page views, Facebook shares and other digital analytics as identified by departmental and
inter-departmental committees. Be aware and assist in meeting company goals.
- Be responsive to community concerns about coverage of six towns covered by the WS.
- Prepare and oversee WS newsroom budget.
- Attend inter-departmental meetings as required.
Knowledge of newspaper industry normally acquired through a degree or equivalency and 10 years of experience in news editing and/or reporting.
Self starter with strong initiative and solution mentality.
Organized, efficient and able to meet deadlines.
Ability to work cooperatively with co-workers.
Strong news judgement.
Ability to supervise.
Knowledge of libel and freedom of information laws.
Strong written, and verbal communication skills.
Interested candidates should contact Human Resources Manager Erin Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 2, 2018.